Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Top 25 English-to-Japanese-to-English Translations of Famous Movie Lines

Perhaps this list is needlessly high concept. Well... I dunno, it was fun to make, that's for sure. Basically, I took the AFI's list of the top 100 movie quotes (composed in 2005), ran it through GoogleTranslate on English-to-Japanese, then ran the result on Japanese-to-English, and picked my favorites. In parentheses are the actual quotes rankings on the AFI's list. (Oh, credit where credit is due, this was most definitely a methodological inspiration.)

1. "Frankly, my dear, I do not mind, please." - Gone with the Wind (#1)

2. "You do not understand! Could have my class. I may have to contract. But I am who I am, the street, instead." - The Waterfront (#3)

3. "Toto, we are in Kansas, I have no sense anymore." - The Wizard of Oz (#4)

4. "We are watching the children." - Casablanca (#5)

5. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm almost ready." - Sunset Boulevard (#7)

6. "May the force be with you in January." - Star Wars (#8)

7. "It means that you can not say sorry to love." – Love Story (#13)

8. "We made that dream." - The Maltese Falcon (#14)

9. "I'm mad as hell, and I've gotta go now!" - Network (#19)

10. "I'm great! It's the small picture." - Sunset Boulevard (#24)

11. "Theater is Sam. Lapse of time left to play.” – Casablanca (#28)

12. "I like her, please." – When Harry Met Sally (#33)

13. "You are not the whistle on what, Steve? You know and do damage to your lips together." – To Have and Have Not (#34)

14. "I will always have to live like a box of chocolates. You're going to make something that is not known." – Forrest Gump (#40)

15. "You will have to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, what of a flat tire?" – Dirty Harry (#51)

16. "You are the ‘Hello' to the me." – Jerry Maguire (#52)

17. "Hello, hello, I have no friends!" – Scarface (#61)

18. "Mrs. Robinson is trying to seduce me. You know?" – The Graduate (#63)

19. "This is not to fight gentleman! This is no war!" – Dr. Strangelove, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (#64)

20. "I'm going to have a leg badly stained, damned monkey!" – Planet of the Apes (#66)

21. "The tremor, the rush of orders." – Goldfinger (#90)

22. "Cinderella story. Anywhere outside. Greenskeeper former, and now it will be the Masters champion. Looks like ... This is the hole! This is the hole! This is the hole!" – Caddyshack (#92)

23. "Snap!" – Moonstruck (#96)

24. "Everybody put your baby in the corner." – Dirty Dancing (#99)

25. "I'm your little dog too, I'll get you pretty!" – The Wizard of Oz (#100)

No comments: